Oakland and Wayne County, Michigan Moving Tips
Making Your Relocation To Plymouth, Canton, or Novi, Michigan Areas Easier!
From attending the final closing to packing up all of your belongings, moving into a new home can be rather stressful! But experience has shown that the more you plan beforehand, the less stressful it's likely to be. As real estate experts in such local markets as Farmington and Plymouth, we aim to make the home-selling process as stress-free as possible for you and your family. So please, check out the below helpful tips, which will enable you to plan a move this is more organized and less stressful. And if we can be of any further assistance, contact us, your Oakland and Wayne County real estate experts.
- Host a garage or yard sale to get rid of outgrown or unused items. If time constraints prevent you from hosting a sale, consider donating the items to a charitable organization like the Salvation Army or the Goodwill Foundation.
- Use sturdy, reinforced boxes, and if packing fragile items, pack them with care.
- Consider using bubble wrap or other packing material for extra cushion and security.
- If you get free boxes at your neighborhood grocery store or liquor store, keep in mind they are not likely to be reinforced.
- Mark fragile boxes so movers can identify them quickly and easily. Be sure you point out to your mover those boxes that contain high-value items and secure extra insurance for those items.
- Pack dishes, bowls, plates and other glass objects vertically, rather than flat and stacked.
- Pack heavier items in smaller boxes.
And be sure to label all your boxes, especially those you may need immediately, such as sheets and towels. Here are some bonus moving tips that we'd like to share with you:
- Create an "OPEN ME FIRST" box containing personal essentials like toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, paper plates, paper cups, paper towels, snacks, instant coffee or tea bags, soap, flashlight, tools (screwdriver, pliers), and any other items your family can't do without. Make this box easily available so it can be removed first from the moving van.
- Take your old phone book with you in case you need to call someone from your former home.
- Exchange your contact information with the mover's foreman in case you need to contact each other.
- Read all moving documents before you sign anything. If you don't understand something, ask for a clear explanation.
- Note your shipment's registration number, and keep your Bill of Loading handy during the move.
- If you're moving long distance, it's possible your household goods and personal belongings could be on a truck with someone else's goods too.
- If this is the case, your mover may have to warehouse your furniture and belongings for several days.
- Ask your mover if your goods will remain on the truck until delivered. If they have to be stored, ask if you may inspect the warehouse for security, organization and cleanliness.
- Lastly - take all your personal documentation (medical records, school records, financial records) and medications with you for your security and for your convenience.
Taking Care of Those You Love!
If you're moving with children or pets, you'll want to follow a few additional moving tips to ensure that everyone makes it to the new home happy and in one piece! Be sure to contact us to request these special tips for moving with pets and children in the South Lyon, Farmington, Plymouth, Canton Northville or Novi areas!